Have a successful Back-To-School Night for parents with tips and hints from Maryland's Teachers of the Year. Whether you are a brand new teacher or a veteran, Back-to-School Night can be difficult. Careful and thorough preparation can help you succeed with confidence and clarity. This night sets the tone for the entire year; it’s the event that can open the door to trust and cooperation.
Question: What are some tips, strategies, secrets, or advice you could give to new teachers to help them prepare and thrive during Back-to-School Night?
- Create a welcoming classroom atmosphere:
- Smile at parents as they enter the room
- Provide refreshments
- Offer alternate times to meet if parents are unavailable
- Display student work
- Be yourself - the way you are with the students
- Initiate communication with parents and get parents involved:
- Ask parents to sign in and write down their email/phone number
- Try to talk to each parent personally
- Ask parents to introduce themselves and say who their child is
- Create/share a classroom website. If a parent was absent, they can see what they missed
- Share upcoming resources like extra-curricular activities, web resources, or other resources that relate to the subject matter
- Share dates for parent/teacher conferences and class expectations
- Provide extra copies of important documents (course syllabus, book lists, etc.
- Approach Back-to-School Night as a team:
- Prepare a presentation
- Allow parents to meet all teachers if possible
For more information, try one of these resources:
Bright Ideas for Back-to-School Night (Reading Rockets)
Get ready for a great Back-to-School Night with ideas and materials to help plan the evening, encourage attendance and participation.
Back-to-School Night Preparation
Learn some useful tips and ideas to prepare for a successful Back-to-School Night.
Back- to-School Night Checklist
Take some of the planning pressure off your jam-packed schedule with a checklist to help you put your best foot forward on Back-to-School Night.
Back-to-School Archive (from Education World)
Find useful articles on everything from preparing for the first day of class, to dealing with homework woes, coping as a new teacher and ensuring smooth sailing for substitute teachers
Back-to-School Night Preparation (Elementary Teachers)
Make a strong, positive first impression on your students' parents with a brief schedule of Back-to-School Night activities.
Back-to-School Night Preparation (Middle School Teachers)
Create strong teacher - parent relationships at the beginning of the year with this helpful article.