Lesson plans and activities for teachers divided by grade range and topic. The lessons also include recommended books and links on fitness.
- Concepts Across the Curriculum: Summer Sports - Research summer sports associated with the Olympics, how politics have influenced the games, poems and songs about sports and sports injuries. Use math skills to investigate exercises and the game of baseball.
- ZOOM: Drinking Straw Pulse Measurer - Measure the human pulse by counting the movements of a drinking straw attached with clay to the pulse point on the neck. Predict activities that affect pulse rate, and compare your pulse with another person's.
- It's My Life: Solo Sports - Discuss the benefits of sports and which sports students enjoy playing. Identify various solo sports that offer alternatives to traditional competitive athletics.
- PBS Mathline: Health: Healthy Hearts - Calculate your resting heart rate in beats per minute, and estimate how long it would take for your heart to beat a billion times. Compute your average maximum heart rate, and attempt to reach your target heart rate zone while exercising.
back to top
Fitness and Kids
An excellent site for students, parents and teachers to promote fitness and good exercise and nutrition habits for adults and children. Includes links to exercise equipment, articles on health and nutrition, videos and more.
This site provides doctor-approved health information about children from before birth to adolescence. There are separate sections for parents, kids and teens.
The President’s Challenge
The President’s Challenge is a program that encourages all Americans to make being active a part of their everyday lives. The site includes information and links for teachers, kids, teens, adults and seniors.
Kid’s Health and Fitness
This site sponsored by Kellogg’s, the Heart Foundation and The Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation is full of information, links and lesson ideas for students, parents and teachers.
An excellent site on exercise for children and parents. Included are links and information about sports and exercise, nutrition and guides for measuring success.
back to top
The premier web site for health and physical education teachers, parents and students. This site includes lessons and assessment ideas and provides the latest information about developmentally appropriate physical education programs for children and youth.
- Hokey Pokey Aerobics: Try a new spin on an old favorite and get some exercise while having fun!
- Scooterville: Work on fitness development, safe driving on the scooter, and following the "rules of the road."
- Let's Make a Deal: Increase students' knowledge of the importance of overall physical fitness through the use of a game.
- Roam the Halls for Fitness: Walk as many steps as possible during a class period while using a digi-walker or pedometer.
back to top