This module is for Welcome Early Care Providers and Educators
The children in your care are learning each moment they are with you. That means you have a significant influence on what they learn, and how they learn. Today, early care professionals are faced with understanding how to nurture children’s learning and use technology as a tool to provide active, developmentally appropriate learning opportunities.
The following activities will introduce you to the purpose and role of a screen time policy in your child care program. You will also learn important considerations for developing a policy that is compliant with The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand the reasons for having a screen time policy.
- Identify different types of technology and mobile devices used to deliver educational media.
- Define the purpose of educational screen media and instructional practices.
- Describe age-appropriate use of screens determined by child development guidelines.
- Explain the connection between screen time activities and the impact on children’s learning.
- Connect learning that happens on screens to real life, hands-on learning off screen.